Friday, October 9, 2026

First Quarter

Today marks the end of the first quarter of the 2026-27 academic year at MBA, which I cannot believe.  I was determined, this school year, to be intentional about slowing down so can enjoy JP's final year at home.  Of course, that hasn't happened as I've been busy at work and our family is constantly on the go, so here I sit on a Friday late morning, outside of Sump Coffee, thinking about how elusive the passage of time is when you have children.

So much has happened this school year already.  It makes my head spin.

Joe ran extremely well for the MBA JS cross country team, finishing in the top five for MBA and scoring in every meet.  The team went undefeated and won the HVAC title in the final race on a tiebreaker.  I think Joe enjoyed himself, although he hasn't been running since the season ended.  Will he run in high school?  That's to be determined.  

Joe made the MBA JS "A" soccer team and started in goal yesterday in a 6-0 win against an overmatched Ensworth team.  Since soccer is not one of Joe's main sports, I will be curious to see how he plays in what will be his last, albeit abbreviated, season of competitive soccer.  

It looks like Joe is going to have a 90 + average across all of his classes, which will put him on the privilege list at school for the first time.  That will be big for him, assuming it happens.

JP's cross country season has been, well, fine to date.  6th at Cecil Field, 1st at Chickasaw Trails, 8th at Southern Showcase, and 8th at Frank Horton.  He's only run one race under 15:40, which is surprising to me.  I anticipated him running well under 15:30 all season.  It will be interesting to see how he runs in the remainder of his races, the Metro Championship and the State Meet at Shelby Farm.  

JP and Joe have been active in the Catholic Club at MBA, which is nice to see.  In fact, just this morning they had an early meeting.  JP has been particularly active int he Broadcast Club at school.  He was one of three broadcasters for a "Game Day" production during the Friday school day before one of the football games.  I think JP and Joe are broadcasting an MBA hockey game together next week, which will be milestone for our family, for sure.  

The MBA football team, thus far, has enjoyed a charmed season with a 6 - 1 record in Coach Chris Chauvin's first season has head coach.  When the Big Red has a good football season, things feel different at school, for sure.

And, of course, JP verbally committed to run cross country and track at Davidson College.  He's very excited, as he should be, and I'm happy for him.  It's a big decision, no doubt, and one I know he's glad to have behind him.  

Joe's travel baseball team has played in two tournament, with a third to come the weekend before Halloween.  It's a nice group of boys and parents.    

Sadly, I lost one of my lions, Ed Silva, whom I'm still trying to find time and energy to write about.  It's hard because he meant so much to me, personally and professionally.  I'm not sure I can capture that in one post.  

Todd Matteson died a few weeks ago after a relatively short battle with pancreatic cancer.  Troy Baines is not doing well.  Jude's dad, another of may lions, continues to struggle valiantly against Parkinson's disease.  There's too much of that type of thing going on in my life, I think.

It's still a little warm, unseasonably warm, for my liking, although at least the mornings are cooler.  I put the Halloween decorations up at work on September 30, as is my custom, which marked the official beginning of all for me and the fact that I survived another hot Nashville August.


















No comments: