Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Child Birth Education Class

Tonight, Jude and I attended our third (of six) child birth education classes at Baptist Hospital. Running late, as usual, trying to get home from work, then to the hospital for the class. Rush, rush, rush. Still, it was nice to arrive, sit down in one place for a couple of hours and spend time with other couples experiencing the miracle of pregnancy and child birth for the first time, just like us.

First, we broke up into groups (men and women) and brainstormed about what the men could do to help the women during labor and delivery. Among the more clever answers from the men were - 1) whatever she says; 2) give her jewelry; 3) don't eat in front of her; and 4) don't pass out. Probably the best answer from the women was the most simple - listen. That's the one I've got to remember. Well, that one and "don't pass out."

Next, we saw a film on epidurals and medically assisted child birth. The film showed not one, but two, actual child births. I hope I'm getting less squeamish, because tonight I didn't feel like I was going to have to run from the room during the film. I must admit, thought, watching an anesthesiologist perform an epidural was more than a little scary to me. That's one helluva long needle.

We finished up the class with about 10 minutes of quiet time, while Jude lay on our mat and practiced breathing. Very relaxing, with soft music in the background and our teacher hypnotically instructing the mothers to think about their "happy places." Mostly, I thought about baby names.

No comments: