Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Running Scared

Every couple of years, it seems, I get an injury of some sort that keeps me from running for a while.  Five or six years ago, I tore my iliopsoas muscle and, as a result, had to shut it down for two or three months, during which time I went to physical therapy and became close friends the elliptical trainers at the Green Hills YMCA.  A couple of years ago, I ended up with plantar fascitis, which put me out of commission for six weeks or so.  Mostly, I rested and did exercises on my own.

The Wednesday after I ran in the Country Music Half Marathon, my right quadriceps muscle locked up during a routine three mile run in the neighborhood.  I limped into Bongo Java, got a cup of coffee, then limped home.  It was weird, because I felt fine after the half marathon, not even a hint of a problem.  It didn't hurt, exactly, but it just locked up, like I was walking on someone else's leg.  Strange.

I took a couple of days off, then tried to run the following Saturday afternoon.  A mile into my run, my right quadriceps muscle locked up again.  I limped into Mafioza's, had a couple of beers, then limped home, discouraged.  I realized then I had no choice but to shut it down and rest for a couple of weeks.

When I can't or don't run for several days, for whatever reason, I completly lose my equilibrium.  I'm no fun to be around.  This time was no different.  I felt lost.  After a week off, I got in the gym and lifted weights, so I could at least feel like I was doing something good for my body.  Still, not being able to run completely depressed me. 

Last Saturday, after a full two weeks off, I went to Shelby Bottoms and ran four miles on the trails.  Fortunately, I felt good for the most part, although the last mile I felt a twinge in my right quad.  No pain, though, and I finished the run without too much difficulty.  My mood immediately improved.  Tonight, I ran four miles in the neighborhood after we put J.P. to bed.  I felt much better, although I tried not to push myself too hard. 

Here's the thing, though - not being able to run, even for a relatively limited period of time, makes me appreciate so much more actually being able to run.  I can't imagine living my life without being a runner.  It's such an important part of who I am, of how I see myself and of what I do.  It's hard to explain, especially to non-runners.  I have to run and I love to run.  Period. 

Anyway, I'm on the road again, stacking up miles.  Just the way I like it. 

   

No comments: