Sunday, April 22, 2012

Running with J.P.

As anyone who knows me undoubtedly is aware, running is a big part of my life.  Well, my family knows that better than anyone, because I am forever going for a run, coming back from a run or trying to find time or juggle my schedule so I can go for a run.

Since Joey's birth, I've found it's difficult to find time to run as regularly as I normally do.  For example, I used to run a lot after Jude and I put J.P. to bed, about 8:30 p.m. or so.  That's changed as of late, though, since I usually take Joey after J.P. goes to bed, so Jude can nap for at least an hour before she feeds him.  I've run a few times at 10:15 p.m., after I hand Joey off to Jude, but I don't like to run that late because it's hard for me to unwind afterwards and get to bed at a semi-decent hour.  Lately I've started getting up at 5:30 a.m. and running, which actually works pretty well.

This afternoon, after I put J.P. down for his nap and Jude and Joey settled in for a nap, as well, I headed over to Shelby Bottoms to get one final long run in before the Country Music Half-Marathon this Saturday.  I had a great 11-mile run, except for the part where an unleashed dog got about a 100 yard head start, ran straight toward me and collided head first with my left knee, knocking me to the ground.  I was extraordinarily pissed when I got up, but the lady that owned the dog felt so bad my anger quickly melted away and I patted the dog on the head and finished my run.

The best part, though, is that when I got home, J.P. wanted to go for a run with me around the block.  Tired legs and all, off we went before I even sat down.  We ran together up Elliott Avenue and stopped at the alley where our friends, Reagan and Allison live (in Rob and Ann Marie Elliott's old house).  We walked up the alley, then ran up Benton Avenue and back to our house.  J.P. was breathing hard when we got home, but he was really proud that he had run with me.  And I, of course, was proud that he wanted to.

No comments: