Monday, May 14, 2012

Tomato Farmers



Saturday morning, after I ran 5 miles on the trails at Shelby Bottoms, I stopped by the Farmer's Market and bought several tomato plants, strawberry plants, a green pepper plant and a couple of seeless watermelon plants.  It's been a couple of years since I've planted anything in our garden and I thought it would be a fun project for J.P. and I to work on together.

Late yesterday afternoon, J.P. and I took advantage of a break in what had been a weekend of rain to plant some of our tomato plants.  Almost as soon as we started, thought, it began raining again, first a fine mist then a flat out downpour.  Oblivious to the rain or almost completely so, he and kept right on working in the garden.  I dug holes with a shovel and he broke up the larger dirt clods with his kid-size hoe from Home Depot.  I'd given him my Predators' hat to wear in the rain and it was hilarious to watch him so hard at work in the dirt and mud. 

While we worked, he told me he was pretending we were firemen planting a garden at the firehouse.  Vivid imangition, indeedl, which is one of the may things I love about J.P.

As we finished planting the last tomato plant, our guests (Jude's parents, my mother, Alice Walker, Jude's grandmother, Margaret McCutcheon) started arriving for our Mother's Day cookout.  I'm sure J.P. and I were a sight to behold we stood there with our shovels and hoes in a driving rain, covered in mud from  head to toe.  In fact, when my mom arrived, she loooked at us like we were crazy.

It was one of those things I'll always remember, though.  J.P. and I gardening together, side by side, in the rain, laughing and having a good time while we worked.  

  

No comments: