Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Catching Up

It's a breathtakingly beautiful mid-June morning and I'm sitting on the front deck at Bongo Java, eating a quick breakfast, having just droppped J.P. off at Children's House.  I had a cancellation on my calendar this morning, so I thought I'd steal a few minutes to to get caught up.

I have my earbuds in and Spotify open on my laptop (hands down, one of the best tech innovations of past 5 years for music fans like me).  I'm listening to the Byrds and, for some reason, it's the perfect soundtrack for my morning.  Belmont Boulevard is bustling with activity - pedestrians hurrying to class, appointments or just out for a walk; trucks stopped to deliver food to the restaurant; and cars parked up an down the Boulevard.  Bongo Java is hopping, due to a couple of camps ongoing at Belmont U and orientation for incoming freshman and their parents (I guess August and the start of school isn't really that far away).  Sarah and Chuck are working behind the bar inside, along with a couple of newbies, as well.  Fudgecake, the cat, ambled over to greet me as I sat down, then continued on his way to patrol the sidewalk in front of Bongo Java and the businesses on both sides. 

I'm under attack from a squirrel who is dropping pieces of walnuts all around me, stationed high above in one of the large trees that shades the front deck.  And here comes Fudgecake again, back on the deck to greet people, his morning rounds completed.

In other words, it's a perfect morning and all is right in my world. 

I haven't posted much lately, for a variety of reasons, really.  I've been busy, for one.  Also, from a practical standpoint, it's been difficult to type with a brace on my left hand that only really allowed me to use my index finger on that hand.  I've been a bit down, too, to be honest, due to my hand injury.  I've felt a little sorry for myself, I guess.  Fortunately, though, the broken bone is healing quickly and I'm able to take the brace off from time to time.  Better still, I can type, though not as fast as I normally can.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and I know I'm going to be fine.  My goal, unstated but rather obvious, is to recover enough to play in my softball team's tournament in late July/early August.  I want to be there to defend our title and I want to prove - to others and myself - that an injury like this isn't going to be the end of softball for me.  I'm not ready to give it up.  Not yet, anyway.   

I'm rambling, but it's good to ramble every once in a while. 

No comments: