Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Spiderman, Standing Up and Fleetwood Mac

What do those three things have to do with one another.  Nothing.  And everything.

Our lives are a kaleidoscope of activities.  The only constant is constant change.

J.P. is all about super heroes, especially Spiderman (which is cool, because I was a big Spiderman fan as a kid).  He's going to be Spiderman for Halloween, months from now, he announced to us last night.  He wants an Iron Man suit for his birthday next month.  Actually, it might be time for me to break out my comic book collection, safely stored (I hope) at my mom's house.

This morning, for the first time, Joey stood up in his crip when he woke up.  Jude got up first, started laughing, and said, "Phil, come here and see this."  I walked into the hall, bleary eyed and groggy, and was greeted by my 11-month old son standing in his crib (still in his sleep sack), holding on to the rail, bouncing up and down.  Just like his brother used to do, back in the day.  Every day, I'm walking down memory lane, as Joey follows J.P.'s path in ways big and small.

This morning, on the way to school, J.P. and I listend to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors."  The album was released 36 years ago day before yesterday, which in and of itself is hard to fathom.  I had a sense J.P. would like it, in part because Mick Fleetwood's drumming drives several of the songs on the album (Second Hand News, Go Your Own Way).  J.P. loved it, and asked me to play "Second Hand News" several times ("the beginning, please, Daddy).  I love that he loves music.  I especially love that he loves great music.

So much is happening in our lives.  Often we feel like we have no control and we're just along for the ride.  An endless roller coaster, with ups and downs, and a lot of good times along the way.  We can't steer it or stop it but we can enjoy the ride.  Which we do.

It's a beautiful January day.  My boys are healthy, my wife is fantastic and I'm blessed in so many ways.  Now it's out the door at Bongo Java and off to work. 

(this is a morning I'm going to remember, though, a "snapshot" morning full of happiness, gratitude and promise)




No comments: