Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Interludes

Yesterday afternoon, as I sat sipping a glass of wine at the bar of a restaurant in Seaside, FL, Joe napping contendedly in the stroller beside me, I couldn't help but contemplate how precious the interludes of time I have with him are.  Priceless beyond measure for a variety of reasons.

I realize it's a recurring theme, but the times I have alone with him are so very fleeting.  Our weekend afternoon walks will come to and end soon, as he gets too old to sleep comfortably in the stroller.  At that point, he'll begin napping in his crib in the afternoons on weekends (as he does during the week now) and one of my favorite things about being a father of an infant/toddler will become nothing more than a fond memory.

From day one with Joe, I've been cognizant of how quickly time will pass, since I've already traveled that road with J.P.  Joe is at such a great age right now, probably my favorite age.  At 17 + months old, he's chatty and a perfect mimic.  He's almost always happy.  If he gets upset, it's because he's hungry or tired or, occasionally, pissed off because we won't let him play with an object he wantes (toothpaste, suntan lotion, etc.).  It passes quickly, like a thunderstorm in the summer.  He laughs a lot, just like his old man.

When he wakes up from his weekend afternoon nap, he yawns, and looks around to see where we are.  Often times it's Bongo Java, but occasionally it's P.M., Boulevard or Urban Grub, just a few of our regular haunts.  If the weather isn't nice, he'll wake up at Green Hills Mall.  This week, on vacation at Santa Rosa Beach, FL (just like last year), he's woken up at Starbucks in Greyton Beach.   Wherever we are, I get him a sippy cup of milk, a snack, and he's good to go.  Better than good to go, actually, he always wakes up happy to see me, smiling and laughing.

There might not be a better feeling in the world than to watch your toddler wake up from a nap, look up at you and smile.

The interludes of time we spend together on weekend afternoons are so peaceful.  Typically, I'll pass the time by reading, surfing the internet, working a bit or eating a late lunch and having a beer or a glass of wine.  Every few minutes, I'll look under the canopy of the stroller and watch him sleep, a reminder of just how blessed I am to have not one, but two, healthy boys.  It's a time of the week I look forward to probably more than any other, because it is a time for me to relax and recharge my batteries, so to speak.

I'm reminded of how simple and uncomplicated things are with Joe, at present.  There's no school or playdates to worry about.  There are no sports, no games or practices, no winning or losing.  He's happy or about to be happy.  That's pretty much it.  And that will change soon enough, which will be pretty awesome, too.




No comments: