Saturday, October 26, 2013

Indian Summer

Joe and I are in the "Indian Summer" of our weekend afternoon walks, literally and figuratively.  Fall is here, and it feels like it today, with the high temperature in the low 70's.  Soon it will be too chilly for our walks.  And, just as soon, he'll begin to nap in his crib on weekend afternoons (as he does not during the week).

And just like that, it will be over.  One of my very favorite things about being a father will have come to an end.  First, J.P. and now, Joe.  I feel melancholy just thinking about it, actually.

I'm at Bongo Java as I write this on a Sunday afternoon and Joe is sleeping in the stroller beside me.  My friend, E.J., has fired up a music mix featuring "Uncle Tupelo" (a top 5 all-time band for me), which kind of fits my mood.  Mellow and nostalgic.

Damn, I'm going to miss these quiet Saturday and Sunday afternoons at Bongo Java.  It won't be the same without Joe (or in another life, J.P.), sleeping in the stroller beside my table.

(I posted this out of order, as it was originally written in early October.).

No comments: