Monday, July 4, 2016

The Calm Before the 4th of July Storm

It's early, not yet 8 a.m., and I'm sitting at the big table downstairs at Frothy Monkey on 12th Avenue, around the corner from our house.  I was the second person in after "the Monkey" opened, which gave me my choice of a spot to quietly drink my latte and eat my standard breakfast (2 scrambled eggs with avocado).

I know it will be a jam packed 4th of July with the boys, so it's nice to have a quiet moment to myself before things get too busy.  I enjoy being one of the first customers at the coffee shop in the morning, whether it's Bongo Java, Frothy Monkey, etc.  There is something soothing about watching the employees as they slowly ease into the rhythms of their day, preparing for the  hordes of people that will shortly began walking through the front door.

From my vantage point, I can see two different families that just seated themselves downstairs, near me.  The brief quietude I was enjoying is most certainly over and the volume of voices is gradually increasing.  Grandparents, probably in town for the holiday, talking to grandchildren, and parents trying to manage it all.  There's few singular souls, like me, sitting alone and taking it all in.

I think what I like best is knowing that in a few minutes, when I leave, I'll drive a couple of blocks to our house on Linden Avenue, where I'll walk into our own cocoon of controlled chaos.  J.P. will be playing "Subway Surfer" on his iPad, in our bed, with Joe laying right next to him, intently watching and cheering him on.  Jude will be reading or taking a shower.  She and I will make breakfast together for the boys, as we all watch Wimbledon (Roger Federer is on today, followed by Serena Williams).

Simple times to be appreciated in a busy world where J.P. and Joe are growing up before our eyes, day by day.




No comments: