Thursday, August 4, 2016

Camp Daddy

It's August, which means the end of summer camps, which means Jude and I are scrambling to find daytime childcare for J.P. and Joe, which means our schedules are even crazier.  

Monday, I took the day off and spent it with the boys.  We called it "Camp Daddy."  It was a good day, for sure.

After watching videos on J.P.'s iPad and playing Subway Surfer while I showered, the boys and I went to Bongo Java.  There, over breakfast, we did some more "film study" which, as referenced before, consists of us taking turns picking sports videos to watch on Youtube.  These days, Joe is particularly into Mike Trout highlights, though that will change when hockey season starts in a couple of months.

Next, we went home, changed into our bathing suits and headed across town to the East Nashville YMCA.  We arrived just as the pool was opening.  Although it was crowded with parents and children squeezing a last day or two at the pool before Metro Nashville Public Schools began, the boys and I had fun.  With Joe in the shallow end of the pool and J.P. across the rope in the deeper end,  I alternated throwing a "skip ball" (pop flies) to each of them.  "Make me dive, Daddy!" J.P. said, over and over, as I tossed the ball skyward, over mothers and children splashing an playing.  Joe belly flopped off the side of the pool, into the water, as J.P. and I laughed.

After we finished up at the pool, I took the boys to Five Points Pizza in East Nashville for lunch.  Jude met us there and we enjoyed a rare weekday family lunch with the hipsters from across the river.  Good pizza, too.

I put Joe down for a nap at home after lunch.  J.P. wondered down after 30 minutes of "quiet time," only to find me napping on the bed, exhausted.  He played on his iPad for an hour while I slept.  Joe walked groggily downstairs a little after 4:00 p.m. and we watched part of "Back to the Future" together.  (note to self:  probably not an appropriate move for 8 and 4 year olds).

To top of our day, it was off to swimming lessons at Miss Sarah's pool in Green Hills.

I'm slammed at work and more behind now, but I treasured having the day to spend with my boys.  Camp Daddy.

No comments: