Sunday, December 4, 2016

Christmas at the State Capitol

Last week, the boys and I accompanied Jude to the annual Christmas tree lighting by Governor Hallam at the State Capitol.  I think this was the 5th or 6th consecutive year we have attended and, as always, it was fun.  

The boys listened to Governor Haslam welcome everyone and introduce a few distinguished guests, including Santa and Mrs. Claus.  Next, they watched the Governor and the First Lady press the button that lighted the Christmas tree for the holiday season.  Then, it was off to listen to the Governor, First Lady, Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus take turns reading "The Night Before Christmas."  And, finally, the boys got to visit with the man himself, Santa Claus, and tell them what they wanted for Christmas.

Governor Haslam


Joe and J.P.


J.P., Santa, Joe and Mrs. Claus


Jude, Joe, J.P. and me

It rained, as it has the last 4 State Capitol Christmas tree lightings we have attended.  We slogged back to Jude's work parking garage, fighting the wind and a driving rain, and got in Jude's Honda Pilot, wet and hungry.  Here's where the night took a turn, for sure.

As we were driving down Charlotte Avenue, J.P., sitting directly behind me on the passenger side, suddenly blurts out, "Is that Santa?!?"  

I looked to my right and sure enough, there is Santa Claus driving down Charlotte Avenue in a bright red Honda Pilot with Mrs. Claus riding shotgun.  How did I know it was Santa Claus?  Well, for starters, he was still in his "uniform."  Also, as he pulled ahead of us, I noticed the personalized license plate - "Mrs. Claus."  

Jude and I looked at each other and wined silently.  J.P. was quiet and I almost could hear his 8 1/2 year old mind working, trying to process what he had just seen.  Finally, he said, "I bet Santa couldn't get he sleigh (and the reindeer) out tonight because it's raining and not snowing."  

I breathed a sigh of relief, as Jude and I nodded and agreed with him.  "I think that's right."  Jude said.

In the meantime, I thought to myself, "Damn, Santa!  WTH?  Couldn't you at least have changed clothes before you left for home?"

No comments: