Friday, January 27, 2017

Joe Time

This morning, before school for Joe and work for me, we went to Belmont U. (or "Belmont School," as J.P. used to call it) to throw the football.  There's a big, wide open space in the atrium, inside, that leads into the gym.  Joe was excited from the moment we arrived, running ahead of me with the football, almost dancing with excitement across the floor.

First, we peaked in the Curb Center, because it was open and we could see someone playing basketball.  I laughed when I saw my old friend, Scott Corley, playing in a rag-tag pickup game.  I've known Scott since he was in junior high and his family moved into my neighborhood.  Scott played basketball at Belmont U. and recently was named the athletic director.  It's been great to reconnect with him through our affiliation as "sidewalk alumni" of the school.

We lined up - me in my suit and dress shoes - and played 2-hand touch football in the atrium.  As students and teacher hurried by, on the way to class or to grab a quick breakfast, several stopped for a minute, smiled and watched us play.  If I missed touching Joe with two hands, he was off to the races,  running straight toward the stairs before pulling up and spiking the football to celebrate a make believe touchdown.

When it was time to go, we rode the elevator downstairs at Joe's request.  He always has loved the elevator there.  As we walked to my truck, I stopped to high five the 3 statues by the fountain outside the entrance to Belmont U. on Belmont Boulevard.  J.P. and I used to do that and it never ceased to amuse him.  Joe giggled, then outright laughed when I threw the football to the statues and told them "nice try" when it bounced off their arms.  There is nothing better than the unbridled, innocent laughter of a happy 4 (almost 5) year old.

As I drove him to school, we animatedly described how cool it would be if the statues came to life.  Joe said, "they're chasing us!  Go!"  We laughed all the way to school.

Joe time.

No comments: