Monday, February 13, 2017

Tie Ballgame

Joe always has seemed to gravitate to Jude, as opposed to me.  J.P. is the opposite, of course.  It's to unusual for Joe to announce "Mom is my favorite grownup."  Without fail, J.P. immediately responds
"Dad is my favorite grownup."  We're all winners.

Well, not really.  Maybe it's a slight insecurity on my part or maybe my memory of J.P. at 4 and 5 has faded with time, but at times I've felt like I hadn't bonded with Joe the same way I did with J.P.  I recall that as soon as J.P. started playing sports - and I started coaching him - that the worm turned and I became "the man."  I coached Joe's baseball team last spring and helped coach the soccer team last fall, but I didn't notice any difference in our relationship.

Now, part of the issue I'm sure is that Joe is the second child, the youngest, and necessarily has to share time with J.P. when it comes to me.  Also, J.P. gets a lot of one-on-one time when we play catch or I hit him grounders, shoot basketball or throw the football.  Joe joins in from time to time and he's not excluded by any means, but it's rarely just the two of us.

Lately, thought, things are looking up.  Over the weekend, Joe and I were returning from running an errand or two.  He suggested I park in the driveway, a spot he normally wants to be reserved for mommy.  Wow, I thought.  I'm moving up!

Then, on Sunday before church, he and I were hanging out together while Jude took J.P. to Sunday school.  "Dad," he said unprompted and with conviction.  "You're tied with mommy and Carley as my favorite grownup."  I smiled.

I'm still smiling.


No comments: