Monday, July 10, 2017

Just Joe

Sometimes, like this morning, I'm struck by how different our lives would be if God hadn't seen fit to send us a second son.

This thought occurred to me, as it does from time to time, as I listened to J.P and Joe talking and laughing upstairs while they were getting dressed.  I couldn't hear what they were talking about but, of course, it didn't matter a bit.  What mattered was that they were happy, giggling as they prepared to start their day.

I peaked around the corner as they came downstairs and was greeted by Joe with a huge grin on his face, as he said, "look, Daddy!" and pointed at his socks.  He had deliberately put different colored socks on and was very, very proud of himself.  He walked into the kitchen, showed Jude, and cackled as she feigned confusion as to why the was wearing different colored socks.  It was funny and it made me smile.

Joe has a way about him, for sure.  He shares J.P.'s intensity when it comes to sports or games and he has the little brother's chip on his shoulder at times.  He's more physical than J.P. and his default move when he's mad at me (or J.P.) is to take a swing at me.  His fuse is shorter than J.P.'s, partly because he's the youngest, I think.  He gets angrier, easier than J.P. ever did at the age of 5.

However, Joe also laughs easier than J.P., too.  From a young age, I always said J.P. was a bit of an old soul, a rule follower and more inclined to sit back and take things in when he enters a room.  Joe, on the other hand, likes to be the center of attention.  He has a wicked sense of humor and loves to laugh.  He's got a great smile.  And I love it when he laughs.  The other kids at school seem to naturally gravitate to him when he arrives, which is cool to observe, as his father.

Anyway, our house would be so much quieter and our lives less rich without Joe.  That's an obvious point, I know, but it's one that sometimes becomes clear as day to me as we hustle from one event to another.


No comments: