Sunday, October 1, 2017

Fall at Long Last

I'm sitting in Frothy Monkey having a cup of coffee early on Sunday morning, happy that fall is officially here on my calendar.  Today is October 1, which marks the official start of my favorite time of year, October 1 - January 2.  Halloween, Gentry Farm, Thanksgiving, college and pro football, NHL hockey, MLB playoffs/world series, NBA and Christmas.  Cool, not yet cold, weather, perfect for running.  I live the rest of the year to get to these three months.

I'm spending a quiet moment or two before I drive down to see my mom.  It's hard to believe this is the last Sunday morning I'll spend with her at Maristone.  Although I believe moving her is the right decision, I'm not the best at handling change and I'm actually sorry it didn't work out for her at Maristone.  I think I'll write more about her time at Maristone another time, perhaps after we get her settled in at NHC Place.

I'm a little worried because she has been much weaker the last week or so.  She has difficulty transferring from her wheelchair to the commode to go to the bathroom, generally requiring the assistance of one or two caregivers.  She's become more incontinent, too.  We thought she had another urinary tract infection but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Okay, so I'm more than a little worried.

That's sort of my resting emotional state the last few months.  Sad and worried.




No comments: