Sunday, December 31, 2017

Reflections on Christmas 2017

Christmas 2017 has come and gone, lights and Christmas decorations around the neighborhood are coming down and it's almost time to began the post-holiday winter grind.



Some noteworthy moments for me, some good and some not so good, from the Christmas season -


  • As always, playing hide and seek withe Jude and the boys in the Christmas trees at Santa's Trees (Hillsboro HS) was a highlight of the season.  Also as always, I end up wishing we had done it more than once.
  •  The Elf on the Shelf.  Moving him every night, which this year was my responsibility, and watching the boys look for him every morning.  It's a joy that they still believe wholeheartedly in the Elf on the Shelf and Santa Claus.  I wonder if that will be the case, for J.P., next year.
  • The weather has been nice, for the most part, and too cold until the last few days (14 degrees this morning).  That's allowed for a lot of outstanding running for me, including the other day after work when I saw a white squirrel in Pinkerton Park.
  • Our last Governor's Christmas Party at the Governor's Mansion and our last Christmas tree lighting and party at the State Capitol.  We've all felt a little bit special attending these events that last six or seven years through Jude's job as Director of the Children's Cabinet.
  • For me, seeing my favorite coffee shops and houses in my neighborhood decorated for Christmas has been great.  It always is.  The share sense of celebration and anticipation is reassuring.


  • On a lark, the boys and I going to the Evergreen event organized by my friend, Courtney Little, as a benefit for Renewal House.  It was outside at a vacant lot he owns near Houston Station.  While kids cavorted in the dark and adults huddled around the fire, others (including me) bought handmade Christmas ornaments.
  • Spending Christmas afternoon with my side of the family at my sister's house in Franklin was a memory to cherish, especially since I'm not sure how my mom will be doing next Christmas.


  • It was great to spend time with James and Megan (Jude's brother and sister-in-law) over Christmas.  Watching them navigate the landscape of having two children 3 and under brought back a lot of memories, mostly good ones.
  • I organized our annual office Christmas party and dinner, which was held a couple of nights ago.  Having it after Christmas really worked well.  Drinks at Bastion were fantastic and dinner at Hemingway's Bar and Hideaway was good.  It was a good time, as we recognized Alisha Warner's decade with PNM.
  • In what has become, for me, a holiday tradition, I played hooky from work one day after Christmas.  I saw "Ladybird," a great movie, at the Green Hills movie theatre, followed by a beer at the Smith & Lentz craft brewery in East Nashville and coffee at Bongo Java East.
  • When - sadly - the inflatable Santa Claus "in a hot air balloon" that the Elf on Shelf brought the boys a few Christmases ago died, I was prepared.  Christmas morning, Santa Claus delivered another inflatable for Jude, since she had sent a note up to him with the Elf ("Cooper Allen Elf," by the way) on his nightly trip to the North Pole.  I think I outdid myself (see below).

  • The highlight that topped them all was watching the boys on December 26, when they opened up the X-Box Jude and I had gotten them.  J.P.'s reaction was priceless and I'm so happy I videotaped it.  Knowing that Jude and I are not fans of video games, he was shocked and stunned as he unwrapped the box and realized we had given them an X-Box.  Initially speechless, he jumped up and tackled Jude in a bear hug.  It was priceless.


And, last but not least, our Christmas tree.  


No comments: