Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Last Goodbye

As I walked from our house to Portland Brew on 12th Avenue to get a cup of coffee and clear my head late afternoon yesterday, it occurred to me that there are very few things in life you only do one time.  Burying your mother is one of them.

And that's what I did yesterday, just past 1 p.m. in our family plot at Dickson Union Cemetery in Dickson, Tennessee.  My mom was laid to rest beside her beloved sisters, Ann and Sue, just down from her parents, Robert and Mary Alice.

It was an unseasonably warm February day, with temperatures approaching 70 degrees.  Though it was overcast, the rain held off and the sun peeked out from behind the clouds during the graveside service for my mom.

I'm spent, emotionally, from the events of the last two weeks.  It's so hard to believe, that two weeks ago today, on the afternoon of January 23, I stopped by to see my mom and had a nice visit with her.  The next morning, everything changed forever.

And now she's gone.




No comments: