Wednesday, May 29, 2019

The Dodgers

The Dodgers' baseball season ended for the spring on Saturday afternoon.  Dodgers II lost 11 - 5 to the Giants (for the second times) in the semifinals in the bronze division of our end of season tournament.  Dodgers I, JP's tournament team, trounced the Cubs 16 - 4 to win the Silver division end of season tournament.

This spring, the Dodgers had 19 players on our roster, as we added a few new players from BSAA (Bellevue).  The plan - and I think it worked well - was to have two teams (Dodgers I and II) that would play doubleheaders during the week and on Saturdays.  With two teams, I had the flexibility to move players back and forth, as needed, with the understanding that Dodgers I was generally the more experienced team and played a lot of teams of mostly 12 year olds (our boys are all 11 years old) while Dodgers II played less experienced teams.

We added two coaches - Jonathan N. and Ronnie S. - both of whom were fantastic.  They fit in well with our regular group - Chris T., Tony W., Randy K., Will W. and Chad P.  The new boys, of course, fit in seamlessly, like they had been with us from day one.  Almost without exception, having two teams seemed to work well for everyone.  I'm going to debrief with a couple of my longtime coaches to see if they agree but I anticipate we'll do the same thing in the fall.

Appropriately, Dodgers I peaked at the right time in the season finale.  They were aided by a couple of forfeits by other teams in the end of season tournament but the Cubs - in our bracket - benefitted similarly.  Our pitchers were fresh and the Cubs' stud, a behemoth (bats right, throws left), was primed and ready to pitch deep into the game.

Robbie D. got into trouble early pitching for us and I lifted him in the first inning with one run in and the bases loaded.  Porter W. trotted in from right field and pitched as well as I've ever seen him pitch. He ignored the pressure and retired two batters in a row on a strikeout and a groundout.  Just like that, Dodgers I was out of the inning.

The Cubs' big man struggled early and often on the mound.  The boys hit him and took several walks as he struggled with his control.  Dodgers I jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.  Porter W. pitched 2 2/3 innings and Benton W. finished up, throwing gas.

JP played well at shortstop.  One inning, late in the game, he fielded a ground ball up the middle and threw on the run to Wes T. at first base of the first out.  Next, he caught a line drive hit to his left.  For the third out, he charged a slow roller, fielding it and throwing it to Wes. T. in one motion.  Very smooth.  As he trotted off the field, he was beaming.  To tell you the truth, so was I.  His future is probably at second base but he can play shortstop as he has all season long.

I'm proud of all of my Dodgers.  It's been a great spring season, though the rain disrupted our practice and game schedule.  Now, it's on to All Stars and June baseball.

No comments: