Tuesday, November 26, 2019

LeBron, the Lakers and the Bucket List

I've been a Los Angeles Lakers fan for as long as I can remember.  When I was a toddler and we lived in California, my mom used to listen to Chick Hearn - the venerable one - call the Lakers' games on the radio.  For a season or two - or so I was told by my mom - my parents shared season tickets to the Lakers' games with three other couples, in the days of Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich and Wilt Chamberlain (probably 1969 or 1970 would be my guess).

This part is hazy, but I've always had a memory of attending a Lakers' game with my dad.  I remember watching Wilt Chamberlain play.  It's funny, now that I think about it, I never asked my mom if that memory was true or a dream.  I never confirmed that my dad took me to a Lakers' game.  I wish I had asked her about it but maybe I wanted to continue to believe it.

I've always been a huge Jerry West fan, probably because my mom was, as well.  

In the early 1980's, with the arrival of Earvin "Magic" Johnson, my Lakers' fandom increased tenfold.  I watched the Lakers on television whenever I could - which wasn't often during the regular season, since cable television hadn't arrived yet - and I lived and died by how they did in the playoffs.  I mean, lived and died!

Most importantly, I hated the Boston Celtics.  Really, really hated them, like all good Laker fans.

In college and in my fraternity, same way.  None of my friends, save one - Eddie Messer - were Laker fans.  Most of them pulled for the Celtics.  

In some ways, my obsession with the Lakers, and the NBA, was an oddity in the pre-internet days.  It was harder to follow the NBA because information wasn't readily available as it is now and there were so many few games on television.  Today, of course, it's totally different.  The NBA is hip and, in reality, trails only the NFL in terms of popularity in the U.S.  Worldwide, however, the NBA dwarfs the NFL in popularity.

For me, it's always been MLB, followed closely by baseball.  But, in terms of my favorite team, it may well have been the Lakers.  Probably trading places, from time to time, with the Dodgers.

The cool thing about having boys - my boys - is that, for the most part, they've adopted my sports' allegiances.  The notable exception, of course, is the the fact that they're Vanderbilt fans and I'm a Tennessee fan.  I smile as I write that, though, because it's a lasting legacy from my mom.  Her parting shot to me, if you will, and something that I believe still makes her chuckle wherever she is now.  My sons, the Vandy fans.

The boys - and I - love the Dodgers and Lakers.  

Saturday afternoon, we drove to Memphis of then Grizzlies - Lakers game Saturday night.  JP rode with my friends, Russ and Chris, and their sons (and his basketball teammates), Cooper and Wes.  Joe rode with me, as his basketball game finished later.

Because the Lakers played Friday night in Oklahoma City, I was worried LeBron James might sit in Memphis.  You know, load management.  Fortunately, that wasn't the case, as LeBron and Anthony Davis played.  

As it turned out, we stayed at the Westin - the same hotel in which the Lakers stayed.  In fact, the players were checking out when we arrived.  The boys saw Lebron, Anthony Davis, Alex Caruso and Kyle Kouzma, which thrilled them to no end.  

Before the game, we walked .3 of mile to Central BBQ for some slow cooked, Memphis style BBQ.  As advertised, the BBQ was awesome, especially the brisket.  Then, back to the hotel to change clothes, and a quick walk across the street to the game.



We had good seats in the Pinnacle Club section.  I loved watching the boys watching the Lakers, standing and cheering in the their LeBron James (No. 23) Lakers' jerseys.  Joe was so into the game that I had to ask him - several times in the first half - to calm down.  The Lakers weren't playing particularly well and the Grizzlies hit their first 8 (!) 3-pointers.  Joe was despondent.  JP and couldn't help but laugh and - I thought - like father, like son.  

The Grizzlies cooled off in the second half, predictably, and the Lakers got hot.  It was an exciting finish and the Lakers won by 1 point, much to our delight.  I bought the boys some swag in the team shop and we walked across the street, back to the hotel.  

Overall, bucket list night.  I got to watch LeBron James play, with my sons alongside, cheering the whole game.  For me, it doesn't get much better than that.

   


No comments: