Thursday, February 27, 2020

Joe Turns Eight

Last Thursday, Joe turned eight years old.

My Joe, always smiling, always happy, always in a good mood, always upbeat and optimistic, always up for whatever is next.

My companion on so many stroller walks in the Baby Jogger City Elite - that I still have in the basement, by the way - when we lived in the old house and he was a baby, then a toddler.  How I loved to walk through the neighborhood, on the way to get coffee at Bongo Java or a Saturday mid-afternoon beer from Sweeney at the 12South Tap Room or from Doc at Mafiozza's or from Spencer at Edley's (at the small bar before the renovation).  We covered a lot of miles together in that stroller.



I miss those days in many ways.  Simpler, more innocent times, for all of us.  I miss my mom, of course, and Carley, too.  Carley, especially, was so close to Joe.  When I think of Joe as a toddler, my mind, and heart, inevitably turn to memories of my mom and Carley.

I smile when I think about "Joe Time," a phrase I invented for the 45 minutes or so Joe and I had together on weekday mornings after Jude took J.P. to University School but before I took Joe to Children's House, which started later.  Occasionally, we watched Daniel Tiger on television.  Other times, we went to Bongo Java, played Battleship, and Joe had "second breakfast."  Sometimes, we went to Belmont and played football in the atrium outside the Curb Center.  Students always laughed as they walked by us, inside, yelling and laughing as one of us ran down the "sideline" cradling the Nerf football.

Of course, much like his brother (and his father), Joe is all sports, all of the time.  As Carley quickly noticed, in many ways he's even more competitive than J.P.  I love that about him, because I want my boys to be competitive in sports, and in life.  Joe loves playing baseball the best, last least for now, although basketball and soccer run a close second.  Coaching Joe (and J.P.) in baseball is one of the joys of my life.

Joe seems to be a natural leader, still.  I noticed that at an early age, at Children's House, and it hasn't changed.  Other kids tend to gravitate to him.  First grade at University School has been a good year for him on all levels, I think.  Ms. Roth, a veteran teacher who taught J.P., as well, is perfect for him.

Joe is a phenomenal reader.  Much to my delight, he absolutely loves to read.  When he gets a new book as a Christmas or birthday gift, he often opens it up and starts reading it on the spot.  I love it.

I think, in many way, Joe and I are kindred spirits, whereas J.P. is more like Jude.  Joe has a huge heart and tends to wear his emotions on his sleeve.  If he's sad or down, like he has been with Carley's death, he cries or talks about it.  I'm the same way.  J.P. is more inclined to keep his feelings inside, which worries me sometimes.  Neither way if right or wrong, obviously, just different.  Joe is an extrovert, I think, like me, and not very concerned with what others think.  He just does his thing.

Joe and J.P. get along so well.  Joe idolizes J.P.  They love sports, playing sports and watching sports on television or in person.  Again, Joe is a little more intense than J.P., even when it comes to watching sports.  At a Lakers - Grizzlies game in Memphis last fall, J.P. and I had to remind to Joe to settle down because he was getting so angry, early in the game, when Memphis took a lead.  The same thing happens when we watch Predators' games together.  He's intense even as a fan, just like I was at that age.


It's just so strange and a little disconcerting, frankly, how fast it goes by, you know?  There's a helplessness and powerlessness to it all from my standpoint.  One day I'm strolling Joe through the neighborhood as he naps in the stroller, the next day he's showing me that he lost his second front tooth at school, eating salami, and has no idea where the tooth went.  That actually happened earlier this week.

Joe.  My guy.  Always and forever.






No comments: