Thursday, July 8, 2021

Woodberry Forest Sports Camp Draws to a Close

After a grueling 9 hour drive to Charlottesville, I'm safely ensconced in my room at the Omni Hotel.  My depositions started late, they took longer than I had hoped, I had to pack, and I got caught in traffic jam outside of Knoxville for an hour or so.  

Still, I made it and I find myself sitting in an easy chair in my room, drinking a Bearded Iris (Tunnel Vision) IPA, and listening to Coldplay's "Parachutes."  The album was released in 2000.  I vividly recall listening to it in our hotel room on a trip with Jude to the Highlands in North Carolina, a lifetime ago.

Tomorrow is my birthday.  55.  And I'm going to pick up J.P. from Woodberry Forest sports camp in the morning which, really, is the best birthday present I ever could receive.  He's been gone from home for three weeks and Jude, Joe, and I have missed him in similar,  yet different, ways. 

I think Jude has missed J.P. more than she thought she would although, really, she had no frame of reference.  Joe missed his big brother, constant companion, and playmate.  In particular, he missed playing Xbox with J.P. and roughhousing in the playroom upstairs.  

Me?  I miss my protege, as I call him when we're up late watching basketball or some other sporting event.  I miss hanging with J.P. and miss running with him.  I miss joking around with him and making him laugh.

From what I can see, from the camp website, J.P. has had a good three week run.  The first week, his team, UNC, went 24 - 2.  The second week, his team, WVU, went 12 - 4.  This week, his team, WVU, won four of the eight championships in all sports.  From the photos I've seen, he looks like he's competing and having fun.  Tomorrow, I'll find out for sure when I pick him up.

It's going to be good - really good - to see J.P. tomorrow morning and to spend tomorrow with him.

No comments: