Sunday, November 28, 2021

Thanksgiving, Again, on the Mountain

Down from the Mountain and back to reality, Thanksgiving break all but over.

As the boys made one last sweep through our rental house on Tennessee Avenue in Sewanee, Jude and I shared a moment on the porch.  Arms around each other, we paused a moment or two to reflect on our holiday weekend as we took in the view of the neighborhood and the Sewanee School of Theology across the street.  

The ground carpeted with gold and red leaves on a beautiful fall morning on the Mountain.   A beautiful fall morning.  The boys rustling around inside the house, laughing and joking with each other. 

A moment to reflect for Jude and me.  A lot to be thankful for, as we near the finish line of a year of change and uncertainty.

I ran Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, five miles each time.  I've been injured or sick more this year than last year, so I've a few stretches where I've not been able to run.  Hopefully, I'll stay health and can finish the year on a high note.  I won't get 1,000 miles this year but, still and all, it's been a good year of running for me.  The runs with J.P. are always special and there have been several of those, thankfully.

The boys and I made it over to the Fowler Center to play basketball on Friday morning.  J.P., on one end of the court, ran through plays he's already learned in the week or so he's practiced with the 7th grade team at MBA.  Joe practiced layups, shooting, then we played "around the world."  

Yesterday, we all went to breakfast at the Blue Chair.  I'm not one for a heavy breakfast but I make an exception a few times a year at the Blue Chair.  Tiger Bowl, YSR omelette, domain breakfast.  It's all there and we enjoyed every bite.

We played a lot of hearts together.  In fact, last night, we took our act on the road and ate dinner at Shenanigan's, playing hearts before and after we ate.  We're all competitive, of course, so there's a lot of trash talking when we play, mixed in with complaining and gloating.  

Thanksgiving Day - with Jude's parents and Megan, James, and their kids was near perfect.  Turkey and sides from Martin's BBQ, ham, a nice red wine, and desserts from Meridee's and courtesy of J.P.'s baking ability (fudge brownies).  Great company, fellowship, and food and drink.  What more could I ask for?  

It's funny, though, when I watch Megan and James with Caroline and James, their children, I'm reminded of how much work it is to have young ones.  Really, it's exhausting just to watch Megan and James doing what parents of young children do, which is, well, everything.  I miss those days, in some ways, but I enjoy interacting with our boys in a different way, too.  

I think Caroline and James were sufficient worn out by the time they drove back to Nashville Thursday afternoon.  Before Thanksgiving dinner, we played on the football field and they made a quick jaunt to the soccer field across the street.  Megan sent us pictures of both kids - crashed - on the ride home.

So, now it's back to work.  The home stretch before Christmas.  I love this time of year.  It's time to buy a Christmas tree and put up our Christmas decorations.  Speed up, then slow down for Christmas.        

 

No comments: