Sunday, March 17, 2024

Saying Goodbye to Santa Rosa Beach

Back to reality.

Following a nine hour drive in a lot of construction related traffic on I-65, we arrived home last night a little after 6 p.m.  It was, needless to say, a long drive made shorter, however, by JP driving the first two and a half hours.  He's a good, safe driver, and I was glad to get him some experience driving on a road trip, particularly since he will be getting his drivers license in less than two weeks.  

Friday, our last day at the beach, Joe was especially vocal about not wanting to leave.  Early Friday evening, Joe and I hung out at the beach together and threw the football while Jude and JP rode bicycles down to Blue Mountain Beach.  It was overcast and most everyone else had left the beach for the day.  It was nice to steal a few minutes on the beach with Joe, just to throw the football and enjoy each other's company.  

I was thinking about how each member of my family gets something different out of a trip to Santa Rosa Beach, or so it seems to me.  In truth, each of us probably needs something a little different from a week there, too.  We actually talked about it a little bit at dinner Friday night at Basmati's.  

For sure, Jude needs her morning walks on the beach, looking for seashells.  I think she needs the solitude and the peacefulness.  She needs to be at the beach at least once a year, I think, if for no other reason than to have those early morning walks on the beach.  I think it recharges her batteries.

Joe loves spending time in the ocean, which he did on this trip every afternoon.  Not a lot of people braved the cold temperature of the water, although Joe was one of the exceptions.  He's so happy playing in the ocean's waves, with JP or by himself.  He's like me, in a way, with his love of the ocean.  Joe also loves - and I mean loves - to eat at different restaurants for lunch and/or dinner when we're in Santa Rosa Beach.  

JP's a little harder to figure out, although I know he loves being in Santa Rosa Beach.  Like me, he loves to  go for runs almost every day we're there.  He also loves to ride bicycles - traditional and the electric bicycles that he and I rented for the second year in a row.  I know JP needs the break from school and academic intensity that is MBA.  Unwinding time is important for him, too.

For me, I like the feeling of familiarity that I get from staying in Old Florida Village in Santa Rosa Beach. It brings me comfort.  I know what to expect.  No surprises.  Of course, I love - love - having the time to run almost every day.  l love having the Longleaf Greenway Trail a half mile away, so much so that I ran on it three days during out stay.  I love having time to read and watch movies.  I also love bumping into residents and guests staying in Old Florida Village and striking up a conversation with them.

Being home again is nice but I already miss the beach.  





No comments: