Saturday, April 13, 2024

A Day of Days

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be able to look at all of the days of my life and pick out my favorite.  

All of the days would need to be in categories, I guess.  Maybe categorized by age, subject matter, special events, or normal days.  What would be really cool, though, would be if I could select my favorite 14 days and relive them.  Not to change the days but to experience those 14 days all over again.  

It's very likely that yesterday would be on the list.  

I had a trial in a case involving a client of whom I'm very fond.  My team and I worked very hard to prepare for the trial.  It's nice to walk into court for a trial and feel like you're prepared and that you've done all you can do to be ready.  My opponent is a very good lawyer.  A worthy opponent, to be sure, and a lawyer I like a great deal.  While we zealously represented our clients in court during the trial, he and I were respectful of each other.  No tricks or games, just professional, diligent, competent lawyering.  The way it should be and, sadly, the way it often is not.   

Before he made his ruling, the judge complemented my opponent and me on a well plead case and a well tried case.  He made a point of complimenting the parties and the witness, as well, for being honest and credible.  

As we left the courthouse, I felt very proud to be a trial lawyer.  

I drove straight to MBA and arrived in the 2nd inning of JP's game vs. FRA.  The Big Red won easily, 13-3.  Ethan Deerkoski pitched well, again, and everyone hit the ball.  JP stole home midway through the game, taking off from 3rd base when he realized the pitcher wasn't paying much attention to him when the catcher through the ball back to him after each pitch.  Although a good throw might have had him, it was cool to see JP slide head first across home plate as a few of his cross country teammates cheered from the stands.

Joe had a soccer game in Murfreesboro.  His Armada team lost 4-1.  

Tried and mentally drained, I sat on our back deck last night before dinner and had a bourbon.  I didn't read or listen to music.  I just sat, alone and quietly.  

I felt content.  

That's not a small thing, either.  It's so easy to take our lives for granted.  To fall into the trap of wanting more.  It's much harder, I think, to feel content.  Harder, still, to be content.  

"There is no happier person than a truly thankful, content person."

- Joyce Meyer 

No comments: