Thursday morning, after Jude got up, I rolled over in bed as I was waking up and as I turned my head, I heard a crunching sound in the right side of my neck. Kind of like one of those plastic toys toddlers play with that they stretch and pull to hear the noise it makes. I felt it, too, and worse still, my neck immediately began throbbing painfully.
My first thought was that I'd herniated a disc in my cervical spine. That's still my fear, sine I'm still in quite a bit of pain, three days later. If I want to look to the right - for example, when I'm driving - I have to turn my entire torso to the right. I've been taking ibuprofen like they's candy, which has helped a bit with the pain. Yesterday for most of the day, I wore a Salonpas patch on the part of my neck that hurts the most. It loosened up some but, this morning, as I drink my coffee at 8th & Roast, there is a dull, aching pain in the right side of my neck.
So far, there is no numbness or tingling in my arms, hands, or fingers, which is a good sign, I guess. Still, my right shoulder is a bit sore, which I guess is somehow related to whatever it is that I did with my neck.
I think what scares me is immediately after I felt, and heard, the cracking in my neck, it felt tired. It's hard to explain but that's the way it feels when my low back issues flare up. My back feels tired, then extremely sore, which can last for weeks. I have low back pain every day, which I've learned to live with, because it's not been debilitating pain since the flareup I had a decade ago. It's just something I live with. I'm not sure I could live with pain in my neck, every day, like I have now.
I suppose I'll make an appointment with a neurosurgeon next week to get my neck looked at, although I'd rather not. I don't really have time and I sure as hell don't want to hear that I've herniated a disc and I'm looking at surgery. A cervical discectomy and fusion at C-2/C-3 or C-3/C-4 is not something I want to deal with. Not now, not ever, if I'm lucky.
I've been 60 years old for one month today. Let's hope this is not a preview of what my 60's are going to be like.
No comments:
Post a Comment