I vividly remember when he went to his first cross country camp - led by seniors, Mitchell Chaffin and Samuel Trumble - and ran well in the two mile time trial. His performance surprised many - head coach, Roderick Russ, and his older, upperclassman teammates - but it didn't surprise me, not one bit. Having taken a look at high school race times from the previous year, I knew JP (and Gabe Guillamondegui) would run with the varsity as freshman, and run well. And that's exactly what happened.
JP's performance in the time trial, at camp, as a freshman, announced his arrival on the cross county landscape at MBA. That's the way I see it, anyway. I hope he runs well in the time trial this week, too. I want JP's final cross country season to be everything he wants it to be, particularly after he was injured last spring during a large part of the track season.
JP met his MBA little brother last week, a seventh grader from Brentwood Middle School. When I went to junior high (7th - 9th grades) there in the late '70's, it was called Northside Junior High. Still the Vikings. Still green and gold. A full circle moment to be sure. JP, a senior, meets his little brother for the first time, much as he meet his big brother at MBA for the first time five years ago.
For every season, turn, turn, turn . . .
JP's school books arrived in the mail the other day. Even now, they're sitting, boxed up, on the dining room table. I eye them suspiciously every time I walk by the dining room, knowing those damn books are doing to dominate his attention soon enough. He's got, roughly, two more weeks before he begins the last year on the Hill. It's all so hard to believe.
No comments:
Post a Comment