Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Labor Day

Over the Labor Day Weekend, I accomplished what, for me, is an almost impossible feat.  I didn't do any work at all.  No e-mails.  No texts with clients or the office.  Nothing.  I'll probably regret it this week, as work piles up, but for one weekend it was quite nice not to work at all.

As Joe pointed out at one point, it was JP's last Labor Day Weekend at home.  Just typing that sentence makes me sad, melancholy even, but there it is.  So, I didn't do any work.  I think I am going to try to do more of that - no work at home - for the rest of JP's senior year.  That's a goal of mine, anyway.

Part of the James Gang was in town for the holiday weekend and stayed with us.  James and James were her, while Megan and Caroline enjoyed a girls' weekend in Asheville, NC.  I think James the Younger loves to visit, and stay with us, because just lie magic, he has two older brothers to play with.  As was the case during their last visit, ping pong was an ever popular activity for James.  So were basketball and hockey, upstairs, in the playroom outside the boys' bedrooms.  That space doesn't get used in the same way it used to, as the boys have grown older, so it was fun to hear James and Joe or JP roughhousing upstairs.


Friday night, the boys watched what may have been MBA's most exciting game since JP started 7th grade on the Hill.  In a back and forth game, MBA rallied late to beat FRA 40-36.  In a performance for the ages, Junior Henri Perry kicked four field goals, punted, ran a successful fake punt on 4th and 10, converted an onside kick, and had a pair of interceptions - including one in the end zone to end the game - all after attending his grandfather's funeral earlier in the day.  An unreal and courageous performance.

Joe and I ran four miles together on the trails at Shelby Bottoms on Sunday morning.  As I say, running with one of my boys is a gift, always.  It's even more special to run with one of them at Shelby Bottoms, my favorite locally to run.  I took Joe on a new trail - new to him - leading down from the tennis courts and around the lake.  I hadn't run that trail in a while, so it was nice to share it with Joe.


Yesterday, JP organized a long run for the cross country team at Shelby Bottoms.  The boys ran 11 miles on the bike path, then came to our house for breakfast and a fantasy football draft.  Seeing them
sitting together on the screened in porch reminded me, yet again, why it was so important to Jude to finish the project before JP's senior year.  She was right, of course, as we've already made good use of it for gatherings a couple of times since school started.  


There remain a lot of moving parts for JP, as he makes his way through the college selection process.  Saturday, he received another scholarship offer from a college to run there next year.  He has official visits scheduled two more schools later this month, as well.  This morning, we're meeting with his college counselor to get a handle on the college application process in the context of JP's desire to run in college.  It's a lot, to be sure, but I am very proud of him for the hard work he's put in, academically and athletically.  It's opening doors for him.


Family dinner last night at Adele's in the Gulch.  It was quite good.

No comments: