Friday, September 12, 2008

Everybody's Working for the Weekend!

Phew! What a week.

After work today, my law partners and I decided to have a drink next door to our office at Sol, an upscale Mexican restaurant. While we were unwinding, I telephoned Jude, who was stuck in traffic, on her way home from Renewal House. Brilliantly, she suggested we meet at the 12th Avenue Tap House for dinner. Since she would arrive home first, she agreed to stroll John Patrick up to the Tap House. I, on the other hand, would stop by on my way home from work.

When I pulled up about 6:25 p.m., Jude and John Patrick were just strolling into the parking lot. I parked, hopped out of my truck and went inside. The Tap House was a little crowded, but Jude was fortunate enough to get a seat at a table in the corner, by the kitchen, which allowed her to push the stroller out of the way. I said hello, then peaked in the stroller at John Patrick, who was sleeping soundly.

We ordered dinner and debriefed about our busy weeks. About the time our food arrived, John Patrick woke up. He was quite content, murmuring to himself and looking around the restaurant. After we finished eating, I lifted John Patrick out of the stroller, while Jude went to the restroom to wash her hands. He smiled a little, but mostly stared at everything going around him, seemingly enthralled by all the activity.

When Jude returned to the table, I put a bib on John Patrick. Jude raised the back of the stroller, then I placed him in it, so he could eat. She fed him squash (really, mashed, yellow, disgusting squash), which he liked. Next, she fed him some of the rice cereal. After he finished the cereal, she gave him a bottle of formula. It was pretty cool, to feed our son, in public, at a restaurant.

Afterwards, because it was dark, I strolled him home, still wearing my suit pants and a tie. It was a little humid, but we had pleasant walk . Overall, a really nice evening out for our family.

No comments: