Sunday, October 5, 2008

Debate 2008!


Oddly enough, the second presidential debate is Tuesday night at Belmont University, within walking distance from our house. In fact, John Patrick and I walk through campus at least a couple of times a week, on our way to Bongo Java, the coffee house we frequent Belmont Boulevard. It's pretty wild to imagine John McCain and Barack Obama will be in our neighborhood, so to speak, less than a month before one of the most important elections of my lifetime.

This afternoon, as we do almost every Sunday, John Patrick and I left the house at 2 p.m., headed for Bongo Java. As we approached Belmont University's campus, I noticed that debate preparations were nearly complete. A giant tent - more like a temporary building - has been erected on the infield of the track, so the media will have a place to set up shop. A chain link fence, probably 10 - 12 feet high, has been erected all the way around the campus, for security purposes.

It was strange, because the campus looked kind of like a prison compound, with no one allowed in or out without going through a security checkpoint. There were no kids at all on campus, also strange, but the administration apparently planned fall break around the debate. I saw a few national and local media trucks parked on campus, too.

John Patrick and I were forced to take a detour and walk around the outside of the campus, then cut down a street that runs adjacent to the Curb Center, where the basketball teams play. As we walked down a steep hill, I heard a roar, then saw a gang of Tennessee State Troopers round the corner on their motorcycles, in full uniform. I waved as they drove by, in formation, side by side, but all I got in reponse were somber nods from a few of the Troopers, their eyes hidden behind mirrored sunglasses. It was kind of surreal.

Finally, we arrived at Bongo Java, where I got a cup of coffee and settled in at one of the tables inside. John Patrick slept in his stroller while I worked a crossword puzzle. I looked up and saw a television cameraman setting up in the coffee shop - for interviews, I suppose.

We left after an hour or so, and strolled over to Wedgewood Avenue, again detouring around the outside of Belmont University's campus. I did stop, though, and have someone take our picutre in front of one of the debate signs, so I can show John Patrick one day that the presidential candidates in 2008 were in our neighborhood!

No comments: