Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Ray of Hope


Every spring, when my law partners and I go to Las Vegas, I make a long shot bet on a major league baseball team to win the world series. Typically, I pick a team I wouldn't normally have any other reason to pay attention to during the baseball season.

Last March, I missed the annual trip to Las Vegas, since John Patrick's birth was imminent. So as not to break with tradition, I asked Mark (Puryear) to bet $50 for me on the Tampa Bay Rays to win the world series. Keep in mind, of course, the Rays had never had a winning season in franchise history. Well, out of nowhere, they won the American League East, beat the White Sox in the division championship series, then beat the Red Sox in seven games in the league championship series.

Now, here they are, in the world series against the Philadelphia Phillies. The Rays won tonight to in Tampa to even the series at 1-1. Three more wins and John Patrick has $4,000 in his college fund.

No comments: