Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009

What a great Father's Day I had today!

Jude joined John Patrick and me on our ritual Sunday morning walk to Bongo Java for breakfast and coffee. After I got my coffee, we sat outside and fed him in the stroller, watching the cyclists and runners passing by on Belmont Boulevard. One of the absolute best things about living in the city is having so many restaurants, coffee shops or bars within walking distance of our house.

Jude's parents arrived about 10:30 a.m. and went to church at St. Patrick's with us. We rolled the dice and sat downstairs, in the sanctuary, for the service. John Patrick was on his best behavior and, as a result, we made it through the entire service without having to take him outside. I was sitting on the end of our row and he did get a little frustrated when I wouldn't let him walk up the aisle, by himself, during the service. I almost let him go, just to see where he would go and what he would do, but thought better of it.

After church, we had lunch at our house and watched the U.S. Open on television. Lots and lots of rain in New York, so it looks like they're going to be playing golf at Bethpage Black tomorrow (Monday). Later, I zipped into Green Hills to run some errands, returning home in time to put John Patrick down for his afternoon nap.

Tonight, for Father's Day, Jude and I went to dinner and a movie. First, we had dinner at Rosario's in Edgehill. After dinner, we went to see "Hangover" at the Green Hills movie theatre. Good movie, funny at times, but not great. It was nice to have a night out together.

Really, just about a perfect Father's Day for me. I can't ask for anymore than I already have. As I sat in church this morning, I looked at my wife and son, smiled to myself, and realized how truly blessed I am.

No comments: