Saturday, June 6, 2009

Scrabbled!

Without a doubt, Saturday is my favorite day of the week. No work until Monday and most of the weekend left to enjoy.

This morning, after John Patrick woke us about 7 a.m., I went to Shelby Park for a run, as I do most Saturday mornings. It was a gorgeous morning - clear blue sky and a temperature in the 60s. I took advantage of the weather and ran long (10 miles) on the trails at Shelby Bottoms. I ran a couple of errands, then returned home and ate lunch on our back deck, while one of our cats - N.C. - lounged next to me in the noon sun.

Jude's mom, "Old Jane," is in town for a visit. They took John Patrick over to see Jude's grandmother, Rita White. Jude's aunt, Margaret, and her daughters, Rita and Laura, were there, as well. I think John Patrick thrilled them all as he worked to perfect his newfound skill - walking. We fed him lunch on the back deck when they arrived home, then I put him down for an afternoon nap.

While Jude took a nap upstairs, "Old Jane" and I played scrabble in the sunshine on the back deck (I really didn't leave the back deck all afternoon for any appreciable period of time). Unfortunately, I was subjected to an abbreviated version of the "victory dance," after "Old Jane" pulled out a close victory. Obviously, my trash talking throughout the game didn't help me. Ah, the agony of defeat.

Tonight, Jude and I stopped by the 40th birthday party for our friend, Jennifer Etheridge. My mom, "Older Jane," teamed up with Jude's mom, "Old Jane," to babysit John Patrick while we were gone (I can't wait to teach him to call them "Old Jane" and "Older Jane," by the way). After we returned home and ate dinner, we played a 3-way game of Scrabble. It was a dogfight (not really), but Jude won, I finished second and "Old Jane" finished last. A little revenge for me, anyway.

No comments: