Thursday, December 24, 2009

Santa Claus is Coming to Town


On our fifth (!) try, we visited Santa Claus at the Green Hills Mall today and had John Patrick's photo taken with him. In one photo, he's crying, but in another one, he's actually smiling.

After striking out yesterday, Jude and I agreed it made sense to try to take John Patrick to see Santa Claus one last time, this morning, just after the mall opened. Good idea, in theory. When we arrived about 9:30 a.m., we were the second family in line. The problem, though, was that Santa wasn't due to arrive until 11:00 a.m. After weighing our options, we agreed I would hold our place in line while Jude entertained John Patrick.

I sat down in the floor, surfed the net on my cell phone and read an article from the New York Times Magazine a couple of Sundays ago I'd been trying to find time to read. Within minutes, the line started to grow and grow, as a result of which I felt smarter and smarter. At 10:50 a.m., I heard an excited murmur from the crowd, looked up, and saw Santa Claus making his way down the line, greeting people and smiling. I think the adults in line were more excited to see him than the children, actually. I know I was.

Jude and John Patrick arrived a minute or two later and we were in business.

No comments: