Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Walking Tall


I took the yesterday and today off work, which gave me a chance to spend some time with John Patrick. This morning, we strolled to Bongo Java after I fed him breakfast. It was chilly, but not too bad. I bundled him up and off we went.

As we walked up Acklen Avenue, across 12th Avenue and through Belmont University's campus, it struck me that with winter here, I probably won't be able to take John Patrick on walks for a couple of months. He was quiet as we strolled. I leaned the stroller back on two wheels to check on him and he gazed up at me, with a contemplative look on his face. It was like he was checking on me. At times, he does seem to have an old soul.

I smiled as I thought about all the walks we've taken together since he was born, 21 months ago later this week. I tried to estimate how many miles we've walked (or run) together. I love the time we've spent together, strolling through the neighborhood. I was sad, too, realizing that it won't be long at all before John Patrick is too big for the stroller.

At Bongo Java, I ordered a cup of coffee, then sat down outside. John Patrick entertained himself by running up and down the ramp leading to the outdoor deck. Chad, a barista I've gotten to know, was kind enough to take our picture before we headed home.

No comments: