Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Magic Shirt

Maybe it was the food.  Maybe it was the wine.  Maybe it was the company.  Probably, it was the shirt.

You work, you come home, you eat, you play, you sleep and every now and then, if you're lucky, you stumble into the perfect night.  Tonight was one of those nights.

Tonight, Jude was set to attend "A Women's Thanksgiving," Renewal House's biggest fundraising event of the year.  My friend, Hal Humphreys, called this afternoon and, since his wife, Kim, was attending the event, too, he suggested J.P. and I meet him at Rumor's Wine Bar on 12th Avenue for dinner.  Nothing like  boys night out, I thought, and quickly agreed to meet him there after J.P woke up from his nap.

J.P. and I drove up to Rumor's about 5:30 p.m.  When we arrived, Hal was already there and we settled in at a table in a corner in the front room.  Our friend, Michael (an amazing chef), was cooking and we had a fantastic dinner (Hal had the short ribs and I had the trout) and a nice bottle of wine (pinot noir).  Actually, we had the run of the place, which was perfect for J.P., because he was able to walk around without bothering anyone.

At first, J.P. and Hal exchanged "you 'da man" pleasantries (a game Hal has played with J.P. since he was very young).  J.P. alternating between climbing up, next to Hal, and feeling his beard, then climbing back up on the bench between us to grab a handful of food.  He was particularly taken with Michael, as evidenced by the fact he spent the last part of the evening standing in the edge of the kitchen, talking to him and watching him work.  Michael was nice enough to share several slices of apple with J.P.

We were there a almost two hours and, really, I wish I could've stopped time and just stayed there, enjoying the evening.  Great conversation with a close friend, a great meal, great wine and my heart filled with pride and joy as I watched my son interact with Hal, Michael and Jenn.  A night to remember and a memory I'll always treasure.

Oh, yeah, the shirt.  Before we left, I fished my old, favorite rugby shirt out of my closet.  The only rugby shirt, actually, that I have left over from the days - twenty years ago - when rugby shirts were "in."  It's a J. Crew rugby shirt, really comfortable, and I probably haven't worn it for five years.  I think the shirt just has good karma and when I wear it - which is rarely - good times are sure to follow.        

    

No comments: