Saturday, July 16, 2011

45!

Last Saturday, one week ago today, I turned 45.  Talk about hard to believe.  45.  Damn.  I've lived out of college longer than I lived before I went to college, or something like that.  I don't feel 45 and I sure don't act 45.  Most people don't think I'm 45, until they look at the top of my head.  That's something, I guess.

Friday evening, we celebrated my birthday with dinner at Rumor's Wine Bar in 12South, near our house.  It's a good neighborhood hangout for us and we go there fairly often.  Jenn - the manager - is a friend and she really took good care of us, meeting with Jude earlier in the afternoon and storing an ice cream cake in their refrigerator.  In attendance were my mom, Jude's folks, Jude's grandmother and aunt, Jude and J.P.

Our friends, Hal and Kim, were there, too.  Hal is the unofficial "Mayor of 12South," so it would be unusual not to see him at Rumor's on a Friday night.  J.P. spent as much time on the front patio with Hal and Kim as he did with us at our table inside, which actually worked out pretty well for everyone (except maybe Hal and Kim).  J.P. adores Hal and it was entertaining to watch them together.  At one point, Hal and J.P. were sitting on one of the benches on the front patio, coloring and writing on a flip pad Jude had brought with us.

Saturday morning (my birthday), I went for an 8-mile trail run at Shelby Bottoms.  For the first time in a while, I found "the zone" as I was running and really felt good, cruising along on the trails, listening to Bob Dylan on my iPod ("Highway 61 Revisited").

Saturday evening, Jude's folks watched J.P. while she and I went to a wedding in Brentwood.  Thomas Reid, the son of one of the attorneys in our office - Lori Reid - was getting married.  We made an appearance at the reception at the Carnton Plantation in Franklin, then went to dinner at Cabana in Hillsboro Village, near our house.  Cabana is an old favorite of ours and a restaurant we used to frequent quite often before J.P. was born.  It was nice to stop in and have a relatively peaceful, grown up meal and really, just to talk.

No comments: