Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Speaking in Tongues

Today, as I was driving home after work and an early evening run in my old neighborhood (Forest Crossing in Franklin), J.P. and Jude called me on my cell phone.  Jude handed her cell phone to J.P. and he said, quite clearly, "Daddy, I need to ask you a question.  Will you meet us at Frothy Monkey for dinner?  I want to have a grilled cheese, fruit, chips and my own milk."

Seriously, it was like I was listening to a 5 or 6 year old child.  Obviously, I'm prejudiced, but his vocabulary, his diction, his train of thought, etc., was so impressive.  I laughed, shook my head, then told Jude (when she got on the phone) that I couldn't believe what I'd just heard.  I was proud, too, really proud.

Almost every day, when we're out somewhere with J.P., a complete stranger comments to us about how well he speaks for his age.  Most of the time, people we run into can't believe J.P. is just past 3 years old.  His vocabulary is so impressive, as is his ability to string together complete sentences that communicate specific thoughts he has.

I don't have an explanation for it, other than Jude and I are just very fortunate to be blessed with such a bright child.  He doesn't watch a lot of television - he never has, really.  He may watch one episode a day of "Sid the Science Kid" or "Super Why" on PBS, but that's it.  We read to him a lot and we always have.  I think that helps.  We've never been big on "baby talk," either; instead, we've just talked to him like a normal person.  Carley Meade's daily interactions with him, one-on-one, as his nanny, certainly have helped, too.  I guess it's a combination of all those things.

Mostly, thought, I just think we're really lucky.  And blessed.

No comments: