Thursday, August 25, 2011

Uncle Carley



Where to begin?

Today marked the end of the last 3-day week our nanny and friend, Carley Meade, will ever spend with J.P. Carley is out of town next week and the week after, J.P. starts school at Children's House. She's going to pick him at school at lunchtime two days a week, but in reality, we passed a significant milestone in J.P.'s life today. It's a milestone I've seen up ahead in the distance for a while, but one I secretly hoped we wouldn't reach so soon.

How do I thank someone who was already a friend, but over the past 3 + years has become a part of our family?

How do I thank someone who has loved my son more than I ever could have asked?

How do I thank someone who held my son's hand as he learned to walk, who helped teach him to speak, who fed him, who bathed him, who changed more diapers than I ever did?

How do I thank someone who made my son laugh, who read to him, who played music for him, who sang songs and danced with him?

How do I thank someone who allowed me - an overprotective, paranoid, terrified first-time parent - go to work every day without having to worry if my son would be okay until I got home?

How do I thank someone who protected, nurtured and cared for the most precious gift I've received to date in my life?

How do I thank someone who put my son down for a nap and was there when he woke up, day after day, almost from the day he was born?

How do I thank someone who, along with Jude and me, has been a constant in my son's life from the beginning?

How do I thank someone who drove to my house late on a Friday night and stayed with my son when Jude and had to make an unplanned trip to the emergency room?

How do I thank someone who taught my son to play hockey in the hall, who staged concerts with him and his stuffed animals in the den, who fingerpainted with him and who drew chalk pictures with him on the sidewalk?

How do I thank someone who reassured me when I worried that my son wasn't crawling soon enough, wasn't walking soon enough and wasn't talking soon enough?

How do I thank someone who is so creative she helped my son develop a vivid imagination?

Jude and I can never repay the debt we owe Carley for loving and caring for J.P. the past 3 + years. She's a part of him, just as Jude and I are, and maybe that's her legacy. Carley has helped him become who he is and who he will be and that will never change.

Carley, Jude and I love you for what you've meant to our son and for the positive impact you've had on his life.

Thank you.

Now, just one more time, for old time's sake -
"Hey, Uncle Carley! Hey Uncle Carley!
You're looking kind of gnarly!
Hey Uncle Carley!
What's that smell?!?"

That might be the first song J.P. and I "wrote" together. He's sung it - laughing - a thousand times. And Carley laughed right along with us.









1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You thanked her with this post. What a gift she has been to our children, and I think it was you who helped her get her start as a nanny 9 or 10 years ago. So, thank you for letting us know about her as she has been a priceless gift in our lives and most importantly the lives of our children.