Sunday, August 7, 2011

We're Not in Kansas Anymore

That's right.  We're not in Kansas anymore.  But we were - the weekend of July 21-24, 2011 - for David Walker's wedding.  We had a fantastic time in Wichita, Kansas.  I've been trying to find time to put down a few words about the weekend and to add some photos.  I think what I'll do, actually, is hit the highlights.


  • Descending into the Wichita, Kansas airport in fairly heavy winds, as a result of which J.P. vomited. Like a good mother would, Jude sympathy vomited, as well.  Just so J.P. wouldn't be embarrassed.  Okay, that's maybe a lowlight, not a highlight.
  • Swimming with J.P. at the hotel's indoor pool.  Interestingly, he was actually more cautious and timid about jumping off the side into the pool to Jude or me than he was when we were in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, two months ago.  Oh, well, I guess that's what swimming lessons will get you.
  • Dinner at Anne and David Walker's house in Wichita, Kansas.  I especially enjoyed playing with J.P. in the workout room downstairs.  He was fascinated by the elliptical trainer and the exercise bands.  
  • An early morning run, where I discovered a "Rails to Trails" trail and ran along it while I listened to an amazing podcast of "This American Life" with Ira Glass.
  • A trip to the Science Museum with Jude and J.P. (where the wedding reception was held, too).
  • Breakfasts at the hotel with Jude's extended family.  I was reminded, as I always am at similar events, how special Jude's family really is.  It's always so much fun to spend time with her cousins, especially since we don't get to see them that often.  J.P. was excited to see Laura McCutcheon, who has been working in Spain for several months.  Laura nannied for J.P. for a while and he adores her.
  • J.P. sinking a 25 or 30 foot putt on his first try on the putting green behind the hotel.  Amazing!
  • Interesting conversations about books and writing with Mike White, Jude's cousin who is a novelist ("Weeping Under Water Sounds a Lot Like Laughter") and whose second book is due to the publisher in October 2011.
  • A beautiful wedding, followed by J.P. throwing the worst temper tantrum of his life on the 40 minute drive back to the hotel in the rental minivan.  When we got to the hotel, I carried him kicking and screaming right past Jude's cousins in the lobby, who just stared.  He's normally such a happy kid.  I think they were stunned to see him so upset.
  • J.P. locking the door in our suite separating the bedroom from the den, within five minutes or our arriving at our room.  Of course, I had told him not to mess with the lock.  He ignored me and we had to wait for a maintenance man to unlock it for us.  He also taped the locking mechanism, so J.P. wouldn't be able to lock the door again.  Okay, that's another lowlight.
  • The reception the Science Museum.  J.P., Mike White and I were able to sneak off and look at some of the exhibits, even though the museum was closed.
  • Watching J.P. with Tom White, Jude's uncle, at the Memphis airport during a layover.  J.P. loves "Uncle Tom."
I've said this before, but it bears repeating.  If J.P. grows up to be the kind of kid and now, man, that David Walker is, I will be one lucky father.  In many ways - to me, anyway - David Walker and the relationship he has with his father, (also) David Walker - is the gold standard, his allegiance to Duke University basketball notwithstanding.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you, Jude and JP at the wedding.
I have to admit I just had to send that "awww"-worthy part at the end to my brother and parents!

There's also a great photo of the 3 of you on the photographer's website:
http://paigekramsey.com

Email me for the login information.
~Cousin Margaret