Thursday, November 3, 2011

Musicology

On the way home from a late night trip to Kroger this evening, I listened to the Avett Brothers' "Left on Laura, Left on Lisa."  It's a fantastic song and, tonight especially, I couldn't help but smile as I listened to it.      I was struck, really struck by that song the very first time I heard it.  I immediately knew the Avett Brothers would be a band I would love.  And I do.

More importantly, J.P. quickly fell in love with the Avett Brothers, too.  First, it was "Left on Laura, Left on Lisa," which he calls "the sad song."  Later, it was "I and Love and You" and "Die Die Die."  At any given time, actually, he's really into a different Avett Brothers' song, which he asks me to play over and over again as we drive to school in the mornings.

That song, in particular, makes me smile, because I can vividly recall driving around the neighborhood when he first heard it, just listening to it, together.  He didn't want me to take us home.  He just wanted to drive around and listen to "Left on Laura, Left on Lisa."  The cool thing is he loved the song independently of anything I told him.  He heard it, liked it and asked me to play it . . . again and again and again.  The fact that we both loved the same song makes me feel there is something in our "musical DNA" that makes us enjoy the same type of music.  I'll have to see if that holds true when he's a teenager.

No comments: