Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Parade

For several years, I've said half-jokingly that I'm "the first man."  Some might call me "Mr. White."  In fact, I have been called "Mr. White."  More than once and deservedly so, given that my wife is rather accomplished and well thought of in certain circles.  Top 40 Under 40, Athena Award nominee (and she should have won, too), Nashville Bar Association board member, etc.

Most recently, Jude accepted a position as Director of the Governor's Cabinet for Children, in which she will be working closely with the first lady, Chrissie Haslam.  That's in addition to her job with Mayor Dean's office.  Okay, so you can see where this is going.  My wife's an accomplished lady.  Not only is she the smartest person I know, she's the best person I know.

Last Friday evening, through her job Mayor Dean's office, Jude, J.P. and I got ride in the Nashville Christmas Parade with a couple of her friends and their families.  Any by ride in the parade, I mean we rode in the front of the parade in a vintage 1950's fire engine, open air, waving to people in downtown Nashville all along the parade route.  It was crazy!  Mayor Dean and the Commissioner of the Fire Department walked along behind us.

At one point, I leaned over to Jude and told her I understood how Miss Tennessee feels (waving to all of my adoring fans).  I'm not sure that analogy works, but still.

The best part is J.P. has an absolute blast.  We brought his noise reducing headphones (endorse by Drew Brees, no less), which was key as the fire engine behind us blasted its sirens for most of the ride.  He was oblivious to the noise, happily staring over the edge of the fire engine and waving to the throngs of people stacked 4 and 5 deep along the parade route, a smile on his face.

It was a top 10 event, for sure, and an evening I'll always remember.

 

No comments: