Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cyndi

I think I've expressed this thought before, but in life, you're really lucky if you can find one friend, one true friend, you can count on to support you unequivocally.  I'm talking about the kind of friend who comes when you call for help, no matter the distance between the two of you or how busy he or she is.  For Jude (and for me, really), Cyndi Baines is that kind of friend.

A couple of weeks ago, I called Cyndi in Florida and asked her if she could visit us before Jude had our baby.  Without a moment's hesitation, she agreed.  Jude is Cyndi's best friend and her visits always seem to energize Jude.  Almost 8 months into her pregnancy, I knew Jude could use the energy boost.  J.P.'s excitement about Cyndi's visit was a bonus.

After I picked up her up at the airport and we put J.P. to bed, Jude, Cyndi and I stayed up and talked for a while.  Cyndi and I shared a bottle of red wine before we all turned in for the night.

Saturday morning, the 4 of us set up shop in the kitchen for breakfast, enjoying what amounted to a 3 or 4 course meal.  Jude handed out waffles as quickly as she make them, while I was cooking bacon.  I scrambled some eggs, which we polished off in short order.  I brought up from the basement 2 large tubs of J.P.'s baby clothes and we marveled at the tiny socks, caps and onesies.  Jude and Cyndi sorted through the clothes while J.P. and I went to a birthday party for a classmate of his at Bounce U.  Later, while J.P. napped, I slogged through the water and mud at Shelby Bottoms on an 8-mile trail run.



Saturday night, Jude and Cyndi saw an awesome Predators-Blackhawks game at the Bridgestone Arena.  J.P. and I had dinner at Chago's Cantina (formerly La Fiesta).  For the second night in a row, Jude, Cyndi and I stayed up late talking.

This morning, Cyndi accompanied J.P. and me on our weekly trip to Bongo Java for breakfast.  J.P. got a real kick out of showing her around and introducing her to some of the other regulars at our favorite coffee shop.  J.P. and I went to church at St. Patrick while Jude and Cyndi finished washing and drying the baby clothes they'd sorted through yesterday afternoon.  As is always the case, though, Cyndi's visit ended too quickly and I dropped her off at the airport a couple of hours ago.

Here's the thing - Cyndi Baines is like a sister to Jude, she really is.  It warmed my heart this weekend just watching them together, talking and laughing.  Cyndi's family and I wouldn't have it any other way.

   

1 comment:

Ree said...

Awwww, phil. Just saw this. I'm the lucky one to have Jude, JP and yes, you too, in my life.

My mom reads your blog so thanks for saying nice things about me on the internet :-)