Saturday, December 29, 2012

So This Is Christmas

It's a bit tough to write a Christmas wrap-up post on the blog, because I'm always depressed after Christmas is over.  I love the month of December - Christmas lights, Christmas music everywhere I go, Christmas decorations at the office, making my "manly pickles" and even Christmas shopping.  It's all over so quickly on December 26.  Boom!  Lights out.  No more Christmas.

This December has been different for me, though.  Difficult at times, frankly.  Early in the month, I wrecked my low back carrying the stroller upstairs in the middle of the night because Joe wouldn't sleep in his crib.  A day or two later, I was in excruciating pain, unlike anything I've felt since my freshman year of college (28 years ago), the last time my back went out.  When we took the boys to Cheekwood to see Santa Claus, I almost passed out as I stood and waited in line for the photographs taken with them in his lap.  My low back locked up and my knees buckled and I barely avoided collapsing on the floor in pain.  Jude's brother, James, and his wife drove me home.

I've not been able to run the entire month, which has sent me spiraling into a tailspin of depression.  Not being able to run and not knowing when I'll be able to run again negatively affects my life on so many levels.  I'm less patient at home and at work, I don't feel good about myself, I'm irritable, I don't sleep well and I have no energy.  It's hard for me to put into words how devastating it is for me not to be able to run.  I know it's hard for Jude (or anyone else) to understand how difficult it is for me not being able to run.

To add insult to injury, the boys have been sick, off an on, for most of the month.  Jude took them to the doctor Christmas Eve, because they had terrible coughs (especially J.P.).  Then, I got a stomach virus or a touch of stomach flu two days before Christmas.  I felt awful, really awful, Christmas Eve, and not much better on Christmas day.  Now, after Christmas, we all have colds.  J.P. and Joe have runny noses and I'm congested.  It's a Christmas infirmary at our house.

Enough bitching and moaning.  To the good stuff and, thankfully, there was lot of good stuff.

J.P. is at the perfect age for Santa Claus.  He was "all in" for Elf on the Shelf and he was definitely all in for Santa Claus.  One night after dinner, Jude and J.P. worked on a Christmas list together, so he could show it to Santa Claus at the Nashville Symphony's Christmas program.  The twist, though, was that they drew (and colored) what he wanted from Santa, as opposed to writing out an actual list.  And, yes, he did show it to Santa Claus, too.

Christmas Eve, J.P. was so excited he couldn't stand it.  Christmas morning, Jude made him stay in bed until almost 7 a.m.  I went downstairs first, got the video camera ready, and filmed Jude, J.P. and Joey as they came down and into the living room.  J.P. immediately noticed Santa Claus had taken some of the pasta he left out for the reindeer.  He also noticed Santa had eaten the reindeer cupcakes he had left for him.  Then, it was on to the gifts Santa had left for him.

The big ticket items was a new bicycle.  A neon green, 24-inch Cannondale bicycle, to be precise.  It needs training wheels (on order) and a kickstand, but then he'll be ready to ride.  The Titans' football helmet and the Spiderman mask were huge hits.  As usual, it was like sensory overload, as he went from toy to toy, squealing with delight at each new discovery.




For Joe, Christmas morning was a little more subdued.  As was the case with J.P. on his first Christmas, Joe was more interested in playing with wrapping paper and bows than toys.  It was funny, though, when we realized he couldn't take his eyes off J.P. when he was wearing his Spiderman mask.  It was like he was hypnotized.



Jude's mom and dad came over mid-morning and we opened up Christmas presents with them, as has become our tradition.  After naps in the afternoon, we drove down to my mom's house in Brentwood to celebrate Christmas with my family.  There, it was controlled chaos, as everyone opened up their presents simultaneously.  We didn't stay long, as the boys were tired and I didn't feel well, but it was good to see everyone.




This week, the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, has been laid back.  We're off work Monday and Tuesday, then it's off the races for 2013.  Time to do it all over again.



 

No comments: