Sunday, June 9, 2013

Running Men

As an older parent, one of the things I worry about is whether I'll be able to be as active as I want (and need) to be as J.P. and Joe get older.  I think it's important to be able to play sports with them, as opposed to watching them play sports.  That's part of the reason why I've been pretty down about the low back and right hip pain I've been dealing with for several months.  I don't want an injury to limit what I can do with my boys.

This morning, while we were at Bongo Java having breakfast, J.P. asked me if we could go for a run togehter later in the day.  He asks to run with me from time to time and it always brings a smile to my face.  If you had asked me a decade ago, one of the top items on my bucket list would have been to go for a run with my son (or daughter).

Now, "going for a run" with J.P. only involves a run around the block.  Still, it's time spent together, doing something I love to do and asomething I'm good at.  And, more imporantantly, it's building a foundation for something we can do together five years from now, 10 years from now, etc.

Today, we ran down Elliott Avenue to the alley behind "Neighbor Regan's" house (formerly Ann Marie and Rob Elliott's house), walked up the alley, then ran the rest of the way home.  After our run, we took turns drinking out of an ice cold bottle of water we had set outside before our run.  I poured a some water on his head, then on mine, and we laughed together as we went for a walk to cool down.  When we got back to the house, Jude and Joe were sitting on the front porch, finishing lunch.  I gave J.P. a "rain shower" by shaking the branches on the trees in our front yard with the two of us standing under them.

No comments: