Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Big Easy

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Hampton Inn & Suites on Carondelet Street in New Orleans.  Jude, J.P. and Joe are upstairs, asleep, after a busy couple of days in the Big Easy.  We fly back to Nashville tomorrow morning.  I absolutely love New Orleans and, because of Jude's family history here and the many times we have visited, it's kind of our home away from home.  It's been great to have Joe here for the first time.

Our trip didn't get off to the best start, as our 6:30 p.m. flight Thursday evening was delayed to 7:30 p.m., then 9:45 p.m., then taken off the board entirely due to air traffic control (weather) issues in Chicago.  Although we went to the airport just to make certain Southwest wouldn't send a replacement plane, we decided to change our flight to Friday morning.  It wasn't a difficult decision, as there was absolutely no way we could spend 3-4 hours at the aiport with J.P. (5) and Joe (16 months).  J.P. was disconsolate - crying - because he was so disappointed our trip was going to be delayed for a day.  A sweet Southwest employee gave him a bag of M & M's and all was forgiven.

Our Friday morning flight was a typical one for our family.  Typically difficult, that is.  Joe cried the entire flight and J.P. vomited during the descent to the New Orleans airport.  Then, as we were walking to baggage claim, I realized I had left my iPad (the one I'm typing on right now) on the airplane.  Frantic, I rushed back to the gate and was relieved to learn that a flight attendant had found it and taken it off the airplane for me.  Losing my iPad would have been a disaster.   At Enterprise Rent-a-Car, the minivan I'd reserved wasn't there.  Typical.

Yesterday, after we checked into our hotel, we had lunch with Jude's folks at Redfish Grill.  In the afternoon, Jude took J.P. Cafe du Monde for beignets and then to the Aquarium.  I took Joe for a long walk down Bourbon Street and through the French Quarter, while he napped in the stroller (yes, the City Elite made it to New Orleans, thanks to Jimdad and Jane White).  After he fell asleep, I slipped into the bar at a nice restaurant and had a couple of beers and read on my iPad.  A nice, quite afternoon.

Last night, Jude and I went to dinner at the Palace Cafe, while her folks stayed with the boys.  We had a nice night out, except for the fact we gorged ourselves to the point of no return.  I really thought I had eaten so much I was going to be sick.

This morning, we drove through a violent thunderstorm on our way to Houma, LA, on our way to visit Jude's Aunt Peggy and Uncle Bob (Quinilty) and, more importantly (from J.P.'s viewpoint), to swim in their pool.  As soon as the rain stopped, J.P. and Jude hit the pool with a vengeance.  J.P.'s swiming lesssons are staring to pay off, although he ability to swim has yet to catch up with how  well he thinks he can swim.  You know, the irrational exhuberance of youth and all that comes with it.



It's always great to see Peggy and Bob, and it was a real treat to see Jude's cousins and their children, too.  It was controlled chaos in a good way, with shoes, clothes and toys everywere.  7 children under the age of 6!  J.P. was the oldest child, which is hard to believe.  We had a great time, although it was a quick visit.



This evening, Jude, the boys and I took the boys for a walk through the Frencn Quarter and for dinner at Stanley's.  It was a nice way to end a weekend in the Big Easy.  Tomorrow, it's back home (I'm already dreading the flight back) and back to work on Monday.



Oh, and here's Aquaman himself.

No comments: