Friday, June 6, 2014

Winning and Losing

Tomorrow, J.P. makes his 6U baseball all star debut in a tournament in Bellevue.  Oh, and I make 6U baseball all start coaching debut, as well.  I'm not sure which one I'm more nervous about, to tell you the truth.

A couple of week ago, our team (the Red Sox) finished the WNSL baseball regular season.  Somehow - and I'm really not sure how it happened - I got roped into coaching the 6U all start team.  I don't like to use the phrases "6 year olds" and "all stars" in the same sentence, yet hear I am coaching a 6 year old all star team. 

Unlike the recreational league, in all star tournaments players make outs, score is kept and teams win and lose.  I'm not sure J.P. is ready for that.  Hell, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.  I'm worried about how he'll handle the disappointment of striking out, making an out or losing.  I'm also worried that he's a bit too young to experience the individualized, objective failure that everyone playing baseball experiences.  J.P.'s so intense when he plays sports.  I'm afraid failing is going to be hard for him to handle. 

I'm also afraid it's going to be hard for me to handle watching him fail, knowing how disappointed he'll be.  It's a giant step forward for him and for me.

I hope we're ready for it. 

No comments: