Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve 2015

It's Christmas Eve in Nashville, Tennessee, and I'm sitting on the side porch of our new house enjoying a ridiculous 66 degree evening.  Global warming?  It feels like it.

The boys are in bed, Jude just went to bed and we're all set for Christmas morning.  The big ticket item this year?  A foosball table for the boys.  It's nice to have room for one, as it fit quite nicely in the playroom upstairs.

It's our first Christmas in the new house, so it feels a little strange (to me, anyway).  Although I'm settling into our new house, I miss our old house, neighbors and neighborhood terribly, especially at this time of year.  Not to be maudlin about it, but we celebrated Christmas there a dozen times.  I know, as time goes on, I'll settle in here, establish new holiday traditions - like sitting on the side porch on Christmas Eve in 66 degree weather - and the new house will become woven into the fabric of my life like the old house was before we moved.

The boys were so excited today and this evening.  "Can you believe Christmas will be here tomorrow morning?  J.P. asked, over and over again.  The boys are so innocent and believing it makes my heart ache because I know the time is rapidly approaching when the holidays won't be that way for them and, by default, for us.  God, it's such a special thing, to share the Christmas season with young children.

So many of my friends have older children - high school and college aged children.  I envy them sometimes, because their lives seem simpler and less demanding.  They have more freedom than Jude and I do.  I worry I won't be able to enjoy my boys high school and college years the way I would like to, because I'll be an older father.  My health is always a concern, more so as I get older.  However, I wouldn't trade anything - not anything - for having the opportunity to celebrate Christmas with J.P. eight times and with Joe four times, counting tomorrow.  God has blessed me.





Merry Christmas, 2015.

No comments: