Sunday, December 20, 2015

'Tis the Season

I'm sitting in a crowded Frothy Monkey on 12th Avenue, near our house, enjoying some Justin Townes Earle on Spotify and a Bell's Two Hearted Ale, while Christmas Day hurtles toward me like a giant asteroid.  Five days away and counting.

I'm not feeling particularly "Christmas-sy," mostly because my office in a state of turmoil due to staffing issues.  Over the past 18 months we have lost at least three staff or employees, two longtime valued members of our team.  It's another post for another day, but suffice to say my theory that you treat staff and employees well and they will reciprocate is way, way off base.  The reality is that to anyone other than Mark, Chas and me, it's just another job, no different, special or better than any other job.  Perhaps that's a bit cynical, but it feels like the truth at the moment.    

J.P. finished up his fall basketball (First Presbyterian Church) league yesterday.  His team lost to a team of Oak Hill boys in a close game for the only blemish on an otherwise perfect fall season.  Truthfully, it was good for his team to lose a game, I think, as they had rolled over all of their other opponents.  The teams were evenly matched and it was fun watching them go at it.  J.P.'s team led until midway through the fourth quarter, when players on the Oak Hill team hit three tough shots in a row.  I think the final was 26-22.

I was proud of J.P., because he was matched up against a taller, older and better player throughout the game.  He scored two or three buckets on J.P. and pushed him around in the lane a bit, but J.P. held  his own.  He played tough, which made me proud.

The highlight of the game, for me, was when Wes (our tallest player) posted his defender up, clapped his hands and demanded the ball.  Of course, our guards didn't throw it to him, but I loved the play for a couple of reasons.  First, Wes is probably the most good natured, laid back player on the team.  For him to clap his hands and demand the ball was a big, big step.  Second, the post up was strong, and it showed me he is learning how to use his body to screen a defender off and get the ball in scoring position.  I love moments like that in  youth sports.

I found myself getting a little more fired up than usual.  At one point, I shouted at J.P. to move his feet on defense and he actually replied, "I am!"  Notwithstanding the fact that he wasn't moving his feet, it made me wonder if, at times, I am a little too demonstrative at games.  Generally, we talk about two or three things for him to work on during games and I try to leave it at that.  It's virtually impossible for me, but I think during the winter season, I'm going to try to watch his games without cheering (loudly), instructing from the sideline, etc.  We'll see how that goes.

After the game, almost the entire team (and parents) went to Edley's on 12th Avenue for brunch.  Great boys, great families.  Jude and I are so lucky to have fallen into this circle of friends - for us and for J.P.  I hope it works the same way with Joe.

No comments: