Friday, June 9, 2017

Bonnaroo 2017

It's here.  Bonnaroo 2017.

I didn't get away as early as I wanted to yesterday, but I got away.  Barely.  I got to my friend's cabin about 3:30 p.m., unpacked, then headed straight to "the Farm."  The line of cars was a bit long and the line to get in to Bonnaroo was the longest I've ever seen it, but patience prevailed and I made it inside.  As I walked through the front gates - after having my backpack halfhearted checked for contraband - I took a deep breath and felt the stress of my day-to-day life float away.  It happens that way every single year up here and it's in large part why I will never miss Bonnaroo again.

It was a breathtakingly beautiful night, probably the nicest it's ever been at Bonnaroo.  I had a couple of beers, listened to some music, watched the beginning of the Predators' game 6 debacle against the Penguins (a 6-0 loss), ate, browsed the art and craft exhibit and listened to more music.

The highlight of the evening occurred while I was watching a band by the name of Mondo Cosmo.  I got there early, so I was up fairly close to the stage.  About 15 minutes into the show, I got bumped from behind by a young, college aged guy making his way determinedly to the front, buck ass naked. Everyone around me was pointing and laughing, then shrugging their shoulders, as if to say "it's Bonnaroo."  Very, very funny.

I drove home and began a reread of Richard Ford's "The Sportswriter."  It's he first book in what became the Frank Bascombe trilogy.  "The Sportswriter" - when I read it 20 years ago - was my introduction Richard Ford, who became one of my favorite writers.  It's a little surreal to revisit the book now, reflecting back on how different my life was when I read it the first time.  I'm not sure life ever goes according to plan but that's why it's life, I guess.

This morning, I'm sitting in The Blue Chair Cafe & Tavern in Suwannee, drinking a cappuccino and listening to an astonishingly good playlist of 60's and 70's music playing over the speakers.  Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me" is playing now.  some locals are sitting at a nearby table talking not so quietly, Dylan's harmonica playing in the background.  Now, appropriately, Dylan's "My Back Pages" is playing, one of my favorite songs of his.  "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . . "

It's a beautiful morning on the mountain, at Sewanee.  I love it up here.  There's something magical about Sewanee for me.  The campus of the university, the outdoors and, really, just the feel of the place.  Matteson will be arriving at the cabin soon, followed by Derek and Bill.  So, these are my last few moments of peace and quiet and I'm going to enjoy them.


No comments: